Tuesday, July 27, 2010

To Do: Eat blueberries

I turned 33 a few months ago. And I realized that my life is 1/3 over (because both sides of my family live forever)....or, as my uber-positive friend, Jamie, would say "you could say you've got 2/3 to live!" Anyway, with this revelation, I've decided to try new things. I know I am a super picky eater, but sometimes I say that I don't like things when truth be known--I just haven't really tried them. I do think my tastebuds have changed. Foods I probably picked out bit by bit at one time that I will now eat, include onions, kiwi, and pineapple (though I still haven't tried fresh--I'm saving that for when Matt suprises me with a trip to Hawaii!). I recently discovered that after tasting, I still do not like asparagus, fried okra, or cranberry juice.

Last weekend when Sophie was here we went to the Farmer's Market downtown. It was great! I wish I had taken my camera because it was just so pretty! As we were walking along, she spotted the blueberry seller (he probably has a more official title....farmer??). Sophie said something like "look at those huge blueberries." I think I squinted up my big nose, replying "ew!" So you know where this is going....BlueBerry Farmer insisted I try 1. I of course dug for the tenee, tiniest blueberry I could find. Wow--it was not sour like I expected. So I got brave and went for a giant one. Wowzer--I think maybe I like blueberries. $3 later, I was proudly carrying blueberries around like I had craved them my whole life!

The best thing I did though was look up a recipe for homemade blueberry muffins on allrecipes.com and came across this recipe:




To Die For Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with the flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
  3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until done.
Possibly one of my very favorite recipes ever! A muffin + coffee cake all wrapped up in 1 big ole' muffin. Because I now only make my muffins in a 6 whole pan...which makes them instantly look like they came from Panera.
I wonder what food I'll try next??

1 comment:

  1. "I've decided to try new things."

    Now, there's one for the quote wall!

    ~CW

    ReplyDelete