Friday, March 11, 2011

To Do: Make Monster Cookies

Last weekend I had a hunkering for monster cookies. (Sorry no makeup on yet!)

I actually had some M&Ms in the cabinet, intended for Jude's popcorn cake for his birthday (maybe that recipe willl come one day). When talking to my people here in AR, I realized everyone hadn't heard of monster cookies. I didn't find out about them until college....thus, part of the sophmore 50 I gained!


During college I lived at a sorority with 55 other women where in order to have cheaper living, we did our own cooking and cleaning. If any of you have the 4-H House cookbook, a recipe for monster cookies that the house used is in there--but it uses like 18 eggs, 8 lbs of peanut butter, etc.--enough for like 12 dozen cookies. I just needed about 2 cookies.


So I looked online and low and behold, my bff Paula Deene had a recipe!



Monster Cookies

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (12oz) jar creamy peanut butter
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup M&Ms
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used mini)
  • 1/4 cup raisins, optional
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the M&Ms, chocolate chips, raisins (if using), baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet (if having trouble getting mixture to stick together, roll into balls).

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let stand about 3 minutes before transferring to wire rack (or in my case paper towel) to cool. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Now you've got me motivated to make these. Those are one of my favorite 4-H House recipes and I'm not smart enough to convert that cookbook recipe! The popcorn cake recipe - is that the same as what Mom used to make us? If so, I want that recipe.

    ReplyDelete