Tuesday, January 11, 2011

To Do: Make Cheesy Corn Chowder

There is something about the cold and snow that makes me start craving my favorite soup. And since I have plenty of extra time today thanks to another snow day, I decided it was time to make up half a batch. I would have made it yesterday but didn't realize I was low on milk and trust me...milk is not easy to come by in Arkansas when snow is forecasted! Plus, I needed an excuse to use my new stock pot. I sort of got it for Christmas. It was on my wish list--does that count? I used my Wal-Mart gift card from work to buy this Paula Deen pot. I doubt I ever make that much soup, but it sure looks pretty.
Anyway, I'm sharing with you today one of my favorite recipes. I got it from the Taste of Home magazine in 2008. If you like corn, potatoes, and cheese, you will love this too. Don't let the word chowder scare you off.
I am sharing the original recipe. I generally only make 1/2 since Matt refuses to try this.
  • 6 bacon strips, chopped
  • 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 2 1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (I used 1 can of diced potatoes and added after carrots cooked)
  • 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 3 cans (11oz) gold and white corn, drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 5 cups milk
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup Velveeta
In dutch oven or stockpot, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender (I also cook till bacon is crisp). Add the water, potatoes, carrots and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Stir in corn and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened (I think it takes more like 10 min). Reduce heat. Add the cheeses; cook and stir until cheeses are melted. Yield: 15 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment