Monday, January 31, 2011

To Do: Make a horseshoe

Arkansans picture this when they think of horseshoes:
Illinoisans picture this when they think of horseshoes:

The other night I had a craving for a horseshoe so I made my version--which even though it has the same heart attack effects-- it does not have nearly the same taste. But needless to say, it still hit the spot!
A horseshoe is basically a piece of Texas toast that is toasted, topped with a hamburger patty, french fries, then cheese. And because that just wasn't enough, we add a little bacon too. Technically, our smaller version (1 toast, 1 patty) is considered a ponyshoe. Other versions of the horseshoe include ham, chicken strips, corned beef, walleye, grilled chicken--you name it!
The horseshoe was invented in Springfield, Illinois. (Yep, even wikipedia says so, so it must be true). Darcy's Pint has the absolute best! Here is what their's looks like (thank you google for having images of everything!). Their secret recipe homemade cheese sauce has a beer/worchestire taste to it that doesn't do my canned cheese justice. That cheese also has painful effects, but it's worth it I swear.
Sure there is things I miss like Darcy's horseshoe, but things I don't miss like the snowstorm of 2011!!

1 comment:

  1. Darcy's also has a spicy chicken horseshoe that's apparently really good. I wouldn't know, because the one time I went I had no clue what I was doing and ordered the Italian sausage- blech!

    ReplyDelete