Sunday, January 16, 2011

To Do: Make Cherry Yum Yum

Note: Wrote this last Sunday, but computer was not allowing me to download pictures. I was hoping to upload them later, but they ended up having to be deleted.


Holiday weekends for us usually mean either a roadtrip or a house project. This weekend, it was the lucky draw of house project :) It's been on our to-do list ever since our first home inspection, but once it got colder out, we new it was time to blow more insulation in the attic. Fun it was! Let's just say my plans for the rest of the night include eating a late dinner (on purpose), taking an excedrin, watching Desperate Housewives, then some zzzzz's.

Anyway, I decided to make one of our favorite meals tonight. Steak, twice baked potatoes, green beans, and for dessert...cherry yum yum (as it's known in the Ervin household). I finally secured the recipe from my mother-in-law so I thought I would share.
Cherry Yum Yum

Part 1:
1. In small bowl, mix together:
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted (see tip below)
  • 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
2. Pour half of mixture into pan. Reserve other half.
Part 2:
1. Following directions on package, whip together until peaks form:
  • 2 envelopes Dream Whip
  • 1 cup cold milk
2. Add to this mixture:
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 package cream cheese, softened
3. Whip till blended. Pour half of Part 2 over Part 1 in pan. Reserve other half.
4. Pour 2 cans of cherry pie filling over whip topping. Layer remaining whip topping, then remaining crumbs.
5. Chill till cold.
I only make 1/2 of the recipe for just us. Matt probably wouldn't mind if I made the whole thing and he had to eat on it all week!
Tip: I recently learned a tip about melting butter. Did you know that to prevent the butter from spattering all over the microwave when you are melting it, you just cut it up! My friend, Sophie's, mother-in-law taught me that trick...love those Alabama girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment