Friday, July 29, 2011

To Do:Organize, Organize, Organize!

I wouldn't go so far as calling myself OCD, not even close, but I do like thing to be in it's proper place, categorized, and in order. So yesterday I was signed up for a 5 hour volunteer gig (well, it was called volunteer, but more like a selfish gig) and I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Besides it being a little cruel on my feet, it was the perfect gig for me.

Imagine this: You decide to have a garage sale and depart with your children's clothes, toys, books, equipment, et. But, you want to make sure the sale is a success so you invite some of your friends to bring their stuff over too. It's hard to decide which friends to invite so let's just invite all 1,205 of your girlfriends to bring over their goodies to your garage. But wait--that ends up being 95,000 items that are tagged, bagged, and ready for resale. Better rent out the empty department store! Now, let's put all the bottles together (organized by brand), then put boys clothes on one side and girls on another, with each rack only holding a specific size. Wow--that's a lot of work--let's get some volunteers! And thus, that's the story of where I was yesterday. Volunteering/organizing at Little Rock's Rhea Lana's consignment sale.


I first learned about these enormous consignment sales when I moved to South Carolina. The therapists I worked with would go and rack up great deals on toys. When I was an Early Interventionist there, I would play with the same toys over and over and over again...trying to be excited with each new kid when really I had dressed the wooden bear 8 times already that week! But guess what, now I know that I want my kiddo to have good, educational toys. I wouldn't be surprised to find that darn wooden bear in my shopping cart one day!


So for my time yesterday, I get early dibs on the shopping tomorrow. Those who worked over 8 hours get to go in two hours before me. And those that brought items to sell will invade an hour after I'm let in. The general public sale starts the next day. As you can imagine, Matt can hardly wait for this bonding/shopping experience! Not that we have anything specific in mind to shop for. Unfortunately not knowing the gender of the kiddo yet stops of from buying too much, but the good news is that there are several other competing consignment events and all are twice a year.


But before I leave you, let me just give you a little tour so you can see how my organization skills were fully utilized and why my mind was blown away!



And this was only a few sections! Oh, if only I had thought of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment