Thursday, June 24, 2010

To Do: Be a volunteer


I wonder how many times a day I use the word "volunteer"? I would reckon, a lot! While I wish I could say that my phone rang off the hook every day with people asking ME if they could volunteer...maybe next year!


I've had on my to-do list, oh for several years, that I needed to volunteer myself. The problem is---I keep getting DENIED! How's that for a boost of self-esteem!! When I was in South Carolina, I decided that I had valuable (more like useless) Girl Scout knowledge that I could put to good use. Clearly, I was over-qualified for the volunteer position. They never called me back!


But I'm not a quitter...unless it involves running, balls, sports equipment, etc. Today I decided I was signing up. I just knew that the receptionist would be giddy when she knew that she had someone on the other end who wanted to volunteer. She would probably run down the hall and tell everyone the news! Not so much. She seemed confused and had to put me on hold. I knew then she was getting the best staff member she could find to talk to me. "Ma'am (obviously a true-southerner), we aren't taking volunteers at this time." Excuse me? Did you just turn down a breathing & eager volunteer? You did not! Again, just write it across my forehead, DENIED!


You see, I'm helping our outreach department do a mini-troop this summer at the homeless shelter. It's a different sort of shelter. Families live there for an extended time, must work, and then are required to save 75% of what they make so they can eventually get out on their own. I may actually try to volunteer in the baby room on Friday afternoons, but honestly, I'm starting to question whether I'm volunteer material.


Anyway, I met a girl who is probably 8. She has that bowl haircut that we all had in the 80's. But, she's just the sweetest thing! I decided that if I joined Big Brothers Big Sisters, I could get her signed up to be my little sister. My head was spinning with ideas of things we could do together. I admit--She just may be my best excuse to sight-see all of those places that Matt refuses to go see (I can see her with her giant yellow diamond that we dug up!!). Sadly, BBBS told me they didn't need Bigs, they needed little. How pathetic is that? But since I had a little, I may get special permission. I'm not going to loose sleep over it tonight, but I think I'll make up an alias before I apply to be a volunteer any where else! Instead tonight I'll be thinking about how I can get BBBS to send over their scraps (those volunteers they don't want) my way!!


UPDATE:
The Boys and Girls Club called me back. They still don't want me. They don't have the staff to add additional matches. Really, is it that much harder? They told me to call them back in the fall. Geez--You think they would keep my name and number and call ME!! So disappointing!

1 comment:

  1. Sara - is there a Junior League in your area? Saw a cookbook on another blog by the Junior League and thought it sounded like a good organization to join...someday. But then remembered your post on volunteering. Just throwing it out there!
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete