Wednesday, June 26, 2013

To Do: Father's Day...Southern Style

Ok, so there are lots of things we miss about the South...our friends, boating, crepe myrtle trees, the best  Farmer's Market, Razorback football, and more!

But let's be real.  We really miss?? Whole Hog Cafe!


You just can't get anything like this in Illinois!

Moist, smoky pulled pork, yummy baked beans...and their speciality--baked potato salad.




Now I have to admit, when I found out that the baked potato salad (remember--one of their trademark side dishes no less!) is really not homemade but rather dumped from a bucket they ordered from Sysco, I was a little heartbroken.  But I'm just going to pretend that it is still homemade.

Anyway, randomly one day,  I did a search on Pinterest for Whole Hog.

And WAHLA...there was a recipe!

So on Father's Day (well Saturday technically), Matt smoked up a pork tenderloin, I heated up some beans, and then whipped together our pretend Whole Hog potato salad.


Guess what?  This version really is pretty close!  It's so good, I had to share it.

http://mrsmichaelscooks.blogspot.com/2013/02/whole-hog-potato-salad.html

So on Sunday, as if we were back in the Bible Belt, we continued our Father's Day festivities Southern Style.  Parker was baptized.




As you can tell, he was thrilled.  Ok, maybe that's not quite the right adjective I was looking for.  Considering we no longer even attempt to try to get him to sit through church, just getting him to make it to our debute 30 minutes in was an obstacle.

The pastor carried him up and down the aisles and the crying stopped.  Hmm...probably liked the attention!


Matt's parents and my mom joined us (and Cousin Caleb due to special circumstances).


Matt and I also became official members of this church.


So I have a feeling, it's a Father's Day we will always remember!



No comments:

Post a Comment